Argentine empanadas are traditionally made with lard, and then deep-fried. Here, coconut oil makes a more healthful choice.
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 8-oz. pkg. seitan, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbs. chopped green olives
- 1/4 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup skim milk
1. To make Filling: Cover raisins with boiling water, and let stand 5 minutes to plump. Drain, and set aside.
2. Heat coconut oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in seitan, corn, garlic, oregano, thyme, and ½ cup water. Simmer 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in olives and reserved raisins. Remove from heat, and cool. Stir in mozzarella.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
3. To make Wrappers: Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Stir in coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse sand. Place skim milk in measuring cup, and add ½ cup warm water. Stir skim-milk mixture into flour mixture to form soft dough, adding up to ½ cup more water, if necessary, to achieve desired consistency. Transfer dough to well-floured work surface and roll to ⅛-inch thickness. Cut into circles with 4-inch cutter.
4. Brush edges of dough circles with water. Place 1 Tbs. filling in center of each dough circle. Fold into half-moons, and pinch edges to seal closed. Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Calories: 143
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 188 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g