Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Do you like enchiladas? Do you like lasagna? We’re going to assume you’re not a monster and thus said yes to both. Ergo, you will probably like this fun casserole that takes some inspiration from both. Tortillas are used instead of pasta, but you still get the gorgeous striations of cheese, tomato, and carb. Want to make this enchilada dish plant-based? Swap in your favorite vegan egg and shredded mozzarella, and whip up a batch of tofu ricotta for the filling.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. In a large skillet on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add onion, zucchini, bell pepper and pinch black pepper and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a small saucepan on medium-low, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add strained tomatoes, broth, cumin, chile powder, chipotle chile powder, salt and remaining pinch black pepper. Bring to a simmer: cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, stir together ricotta and egg. Into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, pour 1/2 cup sauce. Arrange 5 tortillas in a single layer over top of sauce, overlapping slightly to fit. Dollop half of the ricotta mixture over top, spreading gently.
4. Spoon half of the vegetable mixture evenly over ricotta and spread 3/4 cup sauce over top. Arrange 5 tortillas in a single layer over top, overlapping slightly. Repeat layers with remaining ricotta mixture and vegetable mixture, then 3/4 cup sauce over top.
5. Arrange remaining 5 tortillas in a single layer over top, overlapping slightly. Spread remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese blend. Bake until bubble and cheese is melted, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serving Size 1/8 of recipe
- Calories 370
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 64 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Sodium Content 287 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 10 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 2 g