Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
“I’ve tried vegan cake recipes in the past, but didn’t like the sour taste of the vinegar that is usually used to activate the leavening,” Chef Shelly Platten from Wisconsin. “I tinkered with some recipes that didn’t use vinegar to come up with a fudgy, satisfying cake.”
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 9-inch round pan with parchment paper, and spray with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, 1 cup sugar, 2/3 cup cocoa, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Whisk together 2/3 cup soymilk, 1/3 cup oil, and 1/2 cup water in separate bowl. Stir soymilk mixture into flour mixture. Spread in prepared pan, and bake 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Unmold onto plate.
3. Warm remaining 2/3 cup cocoa, 2/3 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup oil in saucepan over medium heat. Pour in remaining 1/3 cup soymilk, and cook 1 minute, or until smooth. Spread icing over warm cake, and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Calories 525
- Carbohydrate Content 67 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 315 mg
- Sugar Content 43 g