Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Felice Bogus, of Raleigh, N.C., came up with this stew while trying to “find something interesting to do with peanut butter beyond just making PB&J sandwiches,” she says. VT staffers went nuts for the super-chunky texture and peanut-y flavor.
1. Bring broth, reserved tomato juice, and ginger to a boil in saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Discard ginger slices; set broth mixture aside.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 7 minutes, or until softened. Add tomato paste, and cook 2 minutes. Add eggplant, and sauté 2 minutes more. Add peanut butter, cayenne (if using), and 1/4 cup broth mixture; stir until smooth. Add sweet potato, diced tomato, and remaining broth; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, or until sweet potato is tender.
3. Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions.
4. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add Chick’n Filets, and cook 3 minutes per side. Remove to cutting board, and cut into chunks. Stir Chick’n into stew, and serve stew over rice.
- Calories 365
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 386 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g