While corn and leeks are essential here, feel free to substitute potatoes, carrots, or other root vegetables for some or all of the sweet potatoes. You could also mix in yellow wax or purple beans with the green beans or use basil instead of cilantro.
- 4 large (or 5 small) ears corn, kernels removed and cobs reserved
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed, plus 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.), divided
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 3 cups sliced leeks (5 medium)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 12 oz. peeled sweet potatoes, cut into medium dice
- 1/2 lb. green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine corn kernels, milk, and crushed garlic in saucepan. Run back of knife down cobs to release milk and pulp into saucepan, then add cobs to pan. Bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat, and let steep.
2. Heat butter and 1 Tbs. oil in Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add leeks, cover, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and paprika, and cook 30 seconds. Stir in sherry, and cook 30 seconds. Add 4 cups water, and remove pot from heat.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, and sauté 8 minutes, or until browned; transfer to Dutch oven. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to same skillet, add green beans, and sauté 3 minutes. Transfer beans to plate.
4. Bring mixture in Dutch oven to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Add green beans, and cook 4 minutes more.
5. Strain milk mixture, and discard corncobs and garlic. Stir milk mixture and 1 Tbs. cilantro into chowder. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 80 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g