Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Why rely on store-bought tomato sauce when you can make your own with summer tomatoes? Here, grilled, whole tomatoes are blended with seasonings for a speedy homemade sauce.
1. Brush grill grate well with canola oil, and preheat grill to medium.
2. To make Tomato Sauce: Brush tomatoes with 1 Tbs. canola oil. Grill 5 minutes, or until tender and slightly charred. Purée tomatoes, oregano, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes in blender or food processor. Transfer to bowl.
3. To make Pizza: Toss broccoli, bell peppers, and onion with canola oil in bowl. Place in grill basket or thread onto wooden skewers, and grill 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Cool until easy to handle, then thinly slice bell peppers.
4. Spread Tomato Sauce on Par-Baked Pizza Crust
5. Top with vegetables, capers (if using), and black pepper. Place Pizza on grill, close lid, and cook 5 minutes, or until sauce is warmed and bottom of crust is crispy.
- Calories 311
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 350 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g