No one will be able to tell that the rich, creamy dressing for this greens-and-grains salad is made with coconut milk—but everyone will know it tastes delicious.
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (2 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 firm apple, such as Braeburn
- 1/2 large bunch dinosaur kale, stems removed, leaves cut into 1 inch pieces (3 packed cups)
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, coarsely chopped
1 Bring farro, 2 cups water, and salt to a boil in medium saucepan; boil 6 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 to 35 minutes, or until farro is tender and no liquid remains. (Drain excess water if farro cooks before all water is absorbed.) Spread farro on small baking sheet; season with salt, if desired, and cool 3 to 5 minutes.
2 Combine coconut milk, lime juice, shallot, and oil in bowl. Set aside.
3 Core apple, and slice fruit into 1-inch-thick wedges. Slice wedges crosswise into 1⁄8 -inch-thick triangles.
4 Toss together kale, farro, apple, and half of walnuts in large bowl. Add coconut- milk dressing, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Calories: 231
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 58 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g