Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Farro is an Italian whole-wheat kernel with a chewy texture and nutty flavor that pairs well with slightly sweet sunchokes.
1. Place 2 1/2 cups water in medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Add farro, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes. Stir in half of sunchokes, and simmer, partially covered, 10 minutes more. Remove from heat, stir in remaining sunchokes, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Transfer to salad bowl to cool completely.
2. Toast sunflower seeds in small dry skillet over medium-low heat 5 minutes, or until lightly browned and nutty, shaking often to prevent scorching. Transfer to plate to cool.
3. Whisk together vinegar and mustard in bowl. Whisk in oil until emulsified, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Toss together farro mixture, spinach, and green onions. Add dressing, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and top with sunflower seeds.
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 91 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g