Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
After reading “A Cook’s Guide to Mushrooms,” Brother Robert, a monk at Mepkin Abbey in Moncks Corner, S.C., felt inspired to submit a recipe created by Father Joe, one of the monastery’s cooks. The dish features oyster mushrooms, which the monks cultivate at the abbey and supply to local stores and restaurants.
1. Place sun-dried tomatoes in heat-proof bowl, and cover with boiling water to rehydrate. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain well, and chop tomatoes.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, pine nuts, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes, and sauté 5 to 8 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and most of liquid has evaporated, adding more oil to mixture, if desired.
3. Meanwhile, cook fettuccine according to package directions in large pot of boiling salted water. Drain fettuccine, and return to pot. Stir mushroom mixture into fettuccine, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 344
- Carbohydrate Content 51 g
- Cholesterol Content 60 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 480 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g