Fattoush salad is a nutritious Middle Eastern staple. It conventionally combines a vibrant medley of veg with khubz, Arabic flatbread. In our version, we create flatbread chips using chickpea flour. The dish is seasoned with sumac, a mainstay spice from the region with a wide variety of antioxidant compounds that protect against cell damage from oxidative stress.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Halloumi-Stuffed Grilled Peppers
Mediterranean Rice with Wilted Spinach and Feta
Mediterranean Pitas with Muffaletta Relish
White Bean, Brussels Sprouts, and Pomegranate Tart
Fattoush Salad with Chickpea Crackers and Pomegranate-Honey Mustard Dressing
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare crackers: In a bowl, mix chickpea flour and baking powder together, breaking up any lumps. Stir in hemp hearts, chia seeds, salt and pepper. Add oil and, using hands, knead well. Working 1 tbsp at a time, add water to mixture and knead until a smooth dough is formed.
- Place 2 16 x 10-inch sheets of parchment paper on work surface. Form dough into a ball, place between sheets of parchment and press down. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Transfer dough and parchment to a large baking sheet. Remove top layer of parchment. Using a knife or pizza wheel, cut dough into 1- to 1½-inchwide squares or triangles. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until crackers start turning golden and edges begin to darken. Let cool then break apart.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, mustard and honey. Slowly drizzle in oil while whisking. Adjust lemon and honey to taste.
- In a large bowl, mix lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, tomatoes, onions and herbs (if using). Toss with sumac. Add crackers and toss again. Drizzle with dressing.
From Clean Eating
- Serving Size ¼ of recipe
- Calories 385
- Carbohydrate Content 34.5 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 577 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 16 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g