This simple main course pairs favorite Mediterranean flavors and ingredients. It comes together quickly and suits family tastes, yet looks dramatic enough to impress VIPs.
- 2 cups canned fava beas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large egg
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, plus extra oil for frying
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. chopped Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat or regular yogurt, for garnish
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced, for garnish
Combine fava beans, egg, onion, garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, flour and 1 tablespoon parsley in food processor. Process until coarsely chopped and well combined.
Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. When hot, scoop ¼ cup bean mixture into oil and repeat until skillet is full. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on one side, and when firm and slightly brown, turn over to cook other side. Carefully remove from skillet and place on plates. Repeat with remaining bean mixture until mixture is used up.
To serve, spoon generous scoops yogurt over each serving and sprinkle with parsley and diced red pepper. Serve immediately.
When pairing food and wine, line up similar flavors for harmony. A Pinot Grigio from Northern Italy, such as Franz Haas Pinot Grigio Delle Venezie Kris, works well here.
- Calories: 250
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Cholesterol Content: 60 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 120 mg