It probably goes without saying that cooked beans will give this dish a superior texture and flavor… but don’t let that keep you from enjoying this vegetarian curry dish.
- Warm the coconut oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté just a minute or two. Then add the onions and cook until they are golden brown on the edges.
- Add the curry powder. Cook, continuously scraping the bottom of the pan, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and stir until combined, then add stock and bring to low rolling boil.
- Stir in the coconut milk until fully incorporated, then add the jalapeño and cilantro. Mix it all together and salt to taste. If using canned beans, drain and rinse them. Add the beans to the pot. Gently fold together without crushing the beans.
- Serve as a hearty soup or over rice with a dollop of plain yogurt and jalapeño to taste.
Adapted from Feed Zone Table: Family-Style Meals to Nourish Life and Sport by Biju Thomas and Allen Lim, with permission of VeloPress.
- 4 Surprising Health Benefits of Black Beans
- How to Prep Black Beans
- Chickpea & Kale Curry with Brown Basmati Rice
- Calories 452
- Carbohydrate Content 58 g
- Fat Content 17 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Sodium Content 635 mg