Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The secret to this salads success is to slice both the onions and fennel as thinly as possible. Pull out the slicing blade on your food processor or use a mandoline slicer, if you have one.
1. Toast walnuts in skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned and fragrant, stirring constantly.
2. Place onion in shallow bowl, cover with cold water, and let stand 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
3. Cut peel, including all white pith, from oranges with paring knife. Cut segments free from membranes over medium bowl to collect juice. Add orange segments to juice.
4. Add onion, fennel, parsley, olives and oil to oranges, and mix gently. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes for flavors to blend.
5. Divide watercress among 6 salad plates. Top with orange mixture, sprinkle with walnuts, and serve.
- Calories 192
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 211 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g