- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, diced (4 cups)
- 3 vegan Italian sausages, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 Tbs. dry vermouth, dry white wine, or water
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add fennel, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir in sausages and fennel seeds, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until fennel seeds are slightly softened and bits of sausage are stuck to bottom of pan.
4. Add vermouth, and cook 5 to 10 seconds to deglaze pan, scraping up any brown bits.
5. Add broth, tomatoes, and parsley; cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories: 163
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 380 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g