In Spain, special noodles are used to make this paella-like party dish, but angel hair pasta fragments work too. Break pasta strands 30 or so at a time to keep them from scattering. Broiling the dish is key to getting its crunchy texture. Serve with Quick Aïoli.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. angel hair pasta, broken into 2-inch lengths (2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups sliced wild mushroom mix (such as fresh shiitake, cremini, and oyster mushrooms)
- 1/2 8-oz. pkg. soy chorizo (1 sausage), halved and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, optional
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 8-oz. can sodium-free tomato sauce
- 2 cups mushroom broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 oz. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in wok, paella pan, or large skillet over medium heat. Add pasta, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned and opaque, stirring constantly. Transfer pasta to paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
2. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to pan, and heat over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Stir in mushrooms, soy chorizo (if using), bell pepper, 2 Tbs. parsley, garlic, and smoked paprika, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until most liquid has evaporated.
3. Stir in tomato sauce. Add pasta, broth, and 1/2 cup water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add asparagus, and cover; simmer 3 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to broil. If using wok or skillet, transfer pasta mixture to 10-inch or larger round cake pan. Place paella pan or cake pan under broiler, and broil 3 to 4 minutes, or just until pasta is crisp on top. (Watch carefully—it burns quickly.) Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbs. parsley.
- Calories: 177
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 182 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g