Flageolet beans are tiny, tender French kidney beans.
- 1 1/2 cups dried flageolet beans or 3 (151/2 oz.) cans small white beans
- 1 small red onion, cut into small dice (3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 roasted Anaheim peppers, peeled, seeded and diced (see Tip in Potato Napoleons, above)
- 2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
In large saucepan, place dried beans in cold water to cover. Cook over medium heat until beans are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Drain beans and place in large bowl. If using canned beans, rinse and drain beans. Place in large bowl.
Add onion, garlic and peppers to beans in bowl; mix well. Stir in vinegar, oil, thyme and cumin. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Let stand about 30 minutes. Serve at room temperature.
- Calories: 374
- Carbohydrate Content: 53 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 13 mg