Ground flaxseeds do double duty as both an egg replacer and a nutty flavor enhancer in these waffles. We’ve called for almond milk, but any nondairy milk can be used.
1. To make Waffles: Blend almond milk and vinegar in blender; let stand 10 minutes. Add ground flaxseeds and vanilla; blend 1 minute, or until thick and creamy.
2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt into large bowl. Whisk in almond milk mixture and 2 Tbs. oil. Stir in walnuts.
3. Preheat waffle iron to high heat. Brush waffle iron with oil (oil should sizzle). Spoon batter onto waffle iron. Close lid and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until waffle is golden and crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.
4. Meanwhile, to make Cranberry-Cherry Marmalade: Bring all ingredients to a simmer in saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 4 to 5 minutes, or until cranberries burst, stirring often. Add 1 to 2 Tbs. water at a time until syrupy. Serve Waffles with Cranberry-Cherry Marmalade on side.
- Calories 259
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 230 mg
- Sugar Content 21 g