Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Nutty flavored flaxseeds provide the nutritional benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, lignans (a type of phytoestrogen) and fiber. One of the easiest and most appealing ways to incorporate flaxseeds into your diet is to use them in yeast breads. Since flaxseeds must be ground to release their benefits, we use ground flaxseeds to replace part of the flour in the dough. A sprinkling of whole flaxseeds creates an appealing topping on this Turkish-style bread.
1. In large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup lukewarm water and sugar. Sprinkle in yeast and let stand until foamy, 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in spice grinder or blender, coarsely grind 1/4 cup flaxseeds.
3. With wooden spoon, gradually beat whole wheat flour into yeast mixture; beat about 2 minutes. Stir in ground flaxseeds, oil, yogurt and salt. Gradually beat in just enough all-purpose flour until dough is too stiff to stir.
4. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead, adding just enough flour to prevent sticking, until smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes. (You can mix and knead dough in stand-up mixer fitted with paddle attachment, then dough hook.)
5. Place dough in lightly oiled large bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
6. Place baking stone or inverted baking sheet in oven to heat. Preheat oven to 500°F. (Heat baking stone for 25 minutes before baking; heat baking sheet for 10 minutes.)
7. Punch dough down. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest about 20 minutes.
8. Dust pizza peel or large metal spatula with cornmeal. In small bowl, combine egg and 1 tablespoon water; stir briskly with fork. Use your hands to press one piece of dough into an oval, then continue to stretch and press it into 10 x 7-inch oval, slightly less than 1/2-inch thick. Place oval on pizza peel. Brush top with egg glaze. Dip your fingertips in egg glaze and press them into dough to form dimples all over flatbread. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons whole flaxseeds.
9. Working quickly, open oven door, hold pizza peel at slight angle and tip end toward back of the baking stone. Give pizza peel a quick jerk, letting flatbread slide onto baking stone. Quickly close oven door and bake flatbread until lightly browned and puffed, 11 to 12 minutes. Immediately wrap baked flatbread in kitchen towel to keep it soft and warm. Repeat with remaining dough and flaxseed topping.
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 27 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 414 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g