Similar to a chocolate soufflé, this cake will rise, then fall slightly when cooled, leaving a cracked top. A fresh strawberry sauce balances the richness of the chocolate. The cake can be made up to two days in advance. For perfect, clean-cut cake wedges, dip the knife in hot water before cutting each slice.
- 8.5 oz. bittersweet (60% cacao) chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, separated, at room temperature, divided
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 11/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries (8 oz.)
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 300˚F. Coat 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
2. Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler. Remove from heat, and whisk until smooth and glossy. Whisk egg yolks, then stir into chocolate mixture.
3. Beat all 6 egg whites with electric mixer on high 1 to 2 minutes, or until foamy. Add sugar, and beat 4 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg white mixture into chocolate mixture until just combined. Pour into prepared pan, and bake 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out mostly clean. Cool.
4. To make Coulis: Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in bowl of food processor; let stand 5 minutes. Add 2 Tbs. water, and purée until smooth. Strain through fine-mesh strainer. Serve Cake drizzled with Coulis.
- Calories: 275
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 94 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 12 g
- Sodium Content: 36 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g