Everybody loves hot dips on a holiday buffet table, so this subtly flavored fondue is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Look for green, purple, and orange cauliflower varieties to add color to the dipper selection. To make ahead: Cook cauliflower in advance, combine cheese and flour, and measure out milk and hot sauce into a jam jar. Stash these prepped items in the fridge so all you need to do is warm and season the fondue just before guests arrive.
- 24 medium cauliflower florets
- 2 cups coarsely shredded fontina cheese, lightly packed (8 oz.)
- 41/2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 11/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp. mild hot sauce, such as Cholula
- 11/2 Tbs. grappa (Italian grape brandy) or Kirsch (German cherry brandy), optional
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
1. Cook cauliflower in large pot of boiling, salted water 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and cool. Arrange in bowl.
2. Toss cheese with flour in large bowl.
3. Bring milk and hot sauce to a simmer in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add cheese mixture to saucepan all at once. Whisk 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese melts and fondue is smooth. Stir in grappa (if using) and nutmeg. Season with white pepper. Thin with vermouth 1 Tbs. at a time, if fondue is too thick.
4. Transfer fondue to ceramic dish set over canned heat burner. Place cauliflower next to fondue for dipping.
- Calories: 138
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Cholesterol Content: 33 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 274 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g