Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Everybody loves hot dips on a holiday buffet table, so this subtly flavored fondue is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Look for green, purple, and orange cauliflower varieties to add color to the dipper selection. To make ahead: Cook cauliflower in advance, combine cheese and flour, and measure out milk and hot sauce into a jam jar. Stash these prepped items in the fridge so all you need to do is warm and season the fondue just before guests arrive.
1. Cook cauliflower in large pot of boiling, salted water 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and cool. Arrange in bowl.
2. Toss cheese with flour in large bowl.
3. Bring milk and hot sauce to a simmer in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add cheese mixture to saucepan all at once. Whisk 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese melts and fondue is smooth. Stir in grappa (if using) and nutmeg. Season with white pepper. Thin with vermouth 1 Tbs. at a time, if fondue is too thick.
4. Transfer fondue to ceramic dish set over canned heat burner. Place cauliflower next to fondue for dipping.
- Calories 138
- Carbohydrate Content 6 g
- Cholesterol Content 33 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 274 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g