An inexpensive way to fuel up on zesty beans with Southwestern flavors, this dish works equally well heated on the stove, with the cheese swirled throughout as it melts. A complete meal, especially when served with tortillas and a side of sliced tomatoes, this dish calls only for herb tea and a fruit sorbet for dessert.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 9-oz. pkg. soy "meatballs"
- 1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chunky salsa
- 1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 1 8.5-oz. pkg. shredded soy cheese
- 1 cup (about 4 oz.) crushed taco chips
- 1 large avocado, diced, for garnish
Preheat oven to 425F.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add “meatballs,” and sauté 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Combine beans in 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in 1 cup salsa, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir in onions and “meatballs,” and top with shredded cheese.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until mixture is heated through. Remove from oven, spoon remaining 1 cup salsa over cheese, sprinkle crushed taco chips on salsa and garnish with diced avocado.
- Calories: 520
- Carbohydrate Content: 62 g
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 15 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 1160 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g