Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Freekeh (pronounced free-kuh) is the name for green wheat grains that have been roasted to give them a chewy texture and rich, nutty flavor when cooked. High-fiber, whole-grain freekeh is paired here with lentils, artichokes, and preserved lemon for a
Freekeh and Lentil Salad with Artichokes and Preserved Lemon
1. Toast freekeh in medium saucepan over medium heat 2 minutes, or until dry. Stir in 2 cups boiling water. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and cool.
2. Meanwhile, bring lentils and 4 cups water to a boil in saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and cool.
3. Cook fresh artichokes in large saucepan of boiling, salted water 15 minutes, or until tender. (If using frozen artichokes, cook according to package directions.) Drain, and cool.
4. Rehydrate sundried tomatoes in boiling water in bowl 10 minutes. Drain, and chop.
5. Whisk together preserved lemon, oil, vinegar, and garlic in large bowl, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add freekeh, lentils, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, and parsley; toss to coat.
- Calories 272
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 162 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g