Fresh Corn and Okra Fritters
In these fritters, okra shows its Southern heritage when paired with corn and cornmeal. These fritters resemble fried corn pone but with vegetables added. If you want to make your own baking powder, the formula is very simple: Combine 1/4 cup cream of tartar with 2 tablespoons baking soda, and…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
In these fritters, okra shows its Southern heritage when paired with corn and cornmeal. These fritters resemble fried corn pone but with vegetables added. If you want to make your own baking powder, the formula is very simple: Combine 1/4 cup cream of tartar with 2 tablespoons baking soda, and sift the two together three times. Store the powder in a tightly sealed container away from sunlight. Makes about 12 fritters.
- 1/2 cup stone-ground white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder, preferably homemade (see above)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup (about 5 oz.) thinly sliced (1/8- to 1/4-inch thick) okra
- About 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
1. Put cornmeal, flour, 1 teaspoon salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl, and stir well to blend. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and water, and stir into dry ingredients, mixing just until well blended.
2. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper over scallions, corn and okra, and fold vegetables into batter.
3. Pour oil into a large skillet, and heat to 340°F. Scoop batter by about 1/4 cupfuls into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides, carefully turning to brown evenly and to cook through, for about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from skillet using a slotted spoon, and drain fritters on layers of paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt, and serve hot or at room temperature.
- Calories 160
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 35 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 680 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g