This salad features a glorious celebration of summer-fresh tomatoes. Recipe courtesy of Drew Harwell, garden coordinator.
- 3 lb. colorful heirloom tomatoes
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar, optional
- 1 small clove fresh garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil
To make the Salad: Core large tomatoes, cut in half and slice. Set aside.
To make the Garlic Bread: Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil, and toast the slices. After toasting, rub the bread lightly with the garlic, and set aside.
To make the Herb Dressing: Whisk together the olive oil and wine vinegar, if using, with the garlic, fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
To serve, toss the tomatoes in the Herb Dressing. Place the garlic toast on individual serving plates, and arrange the tomato slices in a stack on top of the bread. Drizzle the Herb Dressing over the tomatoes and around the plate, and sprinkle with fresh herb leaves as a garnish.
- Calories: 460
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 37 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 200 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g