A lightly sweetened vanilla yogurt is prepared over fruit preserves for a stir-in option. For best results, choose preserves that aren’t too firm.
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup instant skim milk powder, optional
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fruit preserves, such as fruit-only jam
- 1/4 cup organic live-culture plain yogurt or 5 g freeze-dried yogurt culture
1. Heat milk to scalding point (170°F; 77°C) in saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Whisk in skim milk powder, if using. Remove from heat, and stir in honey and vanilla. Cool 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until milk temperature reaches 110° to 120°F (44° to 49°C) on instant-read thermometer, stirring once or twice.
2. Spoon 1 Tbs. preserves into each empty yogurt cup.
3. Whisk together yogurt and 1/2 cup milk mixture in bowl. Whisk yogurt mixture into remaining milk mixture. Pour into cups over preserves, and place in yogurt maker. Set timer for 8 hours. Check 1 container after 8 hours; if yogurt has reached desired texture, remove cups from yogurt maker. If not, replace test cup, and ferment 1 to 2 hours more. Chill.
- Calories: 116
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 7 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 58 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g