The syrup used in this salad is a wonderful all-purpose sweetener for plain yogurt, iced tea and cocktails.
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 2-inch strips lemon zest
- 1/4 vanilla bean
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pint strawberries, quartered (about 2 cups)
- 1 pint blueberries (about 2 cups)
1. To make Vanilla-Apple Syrup: Place apple juice and lemon zest in pot. Slice vanilla bean in half and scrape seeds into juice. Add bean to pot as well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until mixture is syrup-like and reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove lemon zest and vanilla bean, and cool to room temperature.
2. To make Fruit Salad: Toss mangoes, strawberries, and blueberries with Vanilla-Apple Syrup, and serve.
- Calories: 129
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 4 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g