- 1 cup wheat berries, rinsed
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 cup millet seeds
- 2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 6 scallions (white and light green parts only), chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh fruit or berries (such as peaches, raspberries, blueberries)
In large saucepan, bring 4 cups lightly salted water to a boil. Add wheat berries. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add barley, cover and simmer 20 minutes more.
Meanwhile, in dry medium skillet, toast millet over medium-high heat, shaking pan and stirring until grains darken and "pop," about 5 minutes.
After wheat berry-barley mixture has cooked 50 minutes, add toasted millet, cover and simmer until all grains are tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff grains with fork and let cool.
In large bowl, combine grains, orange zest, scallions, parsley, mint and dried cherries. Toss well.
In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over grain mixture and toss well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Just before serving, top with fresh fruit and/or berries.
- Calories: 268
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 4 mg