Fusilli Col Buco with Braised Spring Vegetables
This dish is worth a trip to a gourmet shop or Italian market to find an out-of-the-ordinary pasta such as fusilli col buco. Liquid served from braising vegetables makes a light, brothy sauce for the noodles. If you prefer your pasta on the drier side, don’t add all the braising…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This dish is worth a trip to a gourmet shop or Italian market to find an out-of-the-ordinary pasta such as fusilli col buco. Liquid served from braising vegetables makes a light, brothy sauce for the noodles. If you prefer your pasta on the drier side, don’t add all the braising liquid when stirring the vegetables into the pasta.
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dry white wine, preferably Italian
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 18 oz. fresh or frozen artichoke hearts, halved
- 20 baby carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 10 oz. baby bella mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 8 oz. dry fusilli col buco pasta
- 20 basil leaves, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add thyme, red pepper flakes, wine, broth, and lemon juice, then stir in artichokes, carrots, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add peas, and cook, covered, 5 minutes, or until peas are tender and bright green.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain, and return to pot.
3. Add braised vegetables to pasta, and toss to combine. Add just enough vegetable-braising liquid to achieve preferred sauciness. Stir in basil and Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 307
- Carbohydrate Content 52 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 322 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g