Lentils have a great texture and are a delicious partner with pastaespecially curly shapes that trap the flavorful braised lentils in their ridges.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown or green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 bunches arugula, trimmed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz. dried fusilli pasta or rotini
Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 30 to 60 seconds.
Add lentils and mix well. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 25 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and salt. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender and flavors have blended, about 20 minutes. Stir in arugula and simmer, uncovered, until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice and pepper.
Shortly before sauce is ready, add fusilli to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and place in large warm serving bowl. Add lentil mixture and toss. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 345
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 344 mg