This zesty pasta dish is a summer favorite.
- 2 lb. fresh tomatoes, peeled
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized red onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-long pieces
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 3/4 cup Merlot
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup shelled edamame, preferably fresh
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 lb. penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
To peel tomatoes easily, wash thoroughly and, using a paring knife, detach stem ends without cutting into flesh. Score bottom end of each tomato with shallow “x,” and set aside. Prepare large bowl of ice water, and set aside. In 5-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 3 quarts water to a rolling boil. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds, or until skins begin to peel. Remove tomatoes immediately with slotted spoon, and immerse in ice bath. Let tomatoes sit for 5 minutes. The tomatoes should still be firm with slightly wrinkled skin beginning to separate, making skin slip off easily.
Place tomatoes in food processor, and pulse to chop. Set aside.
Heat oil and crushed red pepper in 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat,1 minute. Add garlic and onion, and sauté 3 minutes. Add carrots and zucchini, and cook 5 minutes, or until vegetables soften. Add tomatoes, and spoon in tomato paste. Reduce heat to medium-low, fill paste can with Merlot and pour into saucepan. Add balsamic vinegar, and mix thoroughly. If using frozen edamame, cook according to package directions, and set aside.
Cook sauce 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add edamame, basil, parsley, thyme and salt, and cook sauce 10 minutes longer. You can make sauce one day ahead, and refrigerate in covered container.
To serve, combine sauce with pasta.
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 53 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 259 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g