The mellow flavor of roasted garlic is such a nice complement to naturally sweet tubers that there's no need for butter.
- 1 large head garlic
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (8 cups)
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut top off garlic head, exposing cloves. Place on piece of foil, and top with chopped rosemary. Drizzle with olive oil. Wrap loosely with foil, and bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until soft and golden.
2. Place sweet potatoes and apples in pot with enough water to cover. Add salt, cover pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft.
3. Drain, and reserve 1 cup cooking water. Transfer to serving bowl.
4. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves into sweet potatoes and apples. Add balsamic vinegar, and mash, adding cooking water as necessary to adjust texture for creaminess. Season with pepper, and serve hot.
- Calories: 158
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 220 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g