Caraway-seasoned braised cabbage is traditionally served with mashed potatoes in Germany, Austria, and Hungary. Here, we bring the two together in a hearty casserole.
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté 5 minutes. Add apples and caraway seeds, and sauté 3 minutes, or until apples begin to soften. Stir in cabbage and dried cherries, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 15 minutes. Add wine, vinegar, and 1 cup water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and simmer 30 minutes more.
2. Bring potatoes and enough water to cover to a boil in saucepan. Cook
10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes, reserved liquid, sour cream, and butter in saucepan until smooth. Stir in chives. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spoon cabbage mixture in 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until potato topping begins to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories 289
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 64 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g