Spice up your holiday spread with this chile- and ginger-laced accompaniment that can be served warm or chilled. It tastes great on post-holiday sandwiches, too!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 cups jarred mandarin-orange segments in light syrup
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped Anaheim chile
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- Drain orange segments; reserve ½ cup syrup.
- Bring cranberries, onion, chile, and reserved syrup to a simmer in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover, and simmer 7 to 10 minutes, or until cranberries pop.
- Stir in sugar, ginger, and vinegar. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in orange segments, and simmer 10 minutes more. Cool slightly, then season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serving Size per 1/4-cup serving
- Calories 161
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0.5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 9 mg
- Sugar Content 36 g