Tofu soaks up the flavors of sesame, tamari, ginger and garlic in this recipe, and provides a hearty complement to the mushrooms and asparagus.
- 1/3 cup low-sodium tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed dry and cubed
- 1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
1. Combine tamari, vinegar, sesame oil and sugar in mixing bowl, and stir until well blended. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. canola oil in large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and stir-fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove tofu from pan; set aside.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. canola oil in same pan. Add asparagus and shiitakes, and stir-fry until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add reserved tofu and sauce; toss well and heat through. Garnish with sesame seeds, and serve.
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 570 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g