Tempeh, made by fermenting whole soybeans, often with other ingredients such as rice or sea vegetables, is a generous source of many nutrients such as calcium, B vitamins and iron. Tempeh should be cubed and steamed before proceeding with the recipe. Doing so will tenderize the tempeh and allow it to absorb flavors more readily. Spread each pita pocket with a creamy dairy-free dressing or Dijon mustard.
- 2 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, cubed and steamed
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tbs. minced dried garlic
- 2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium-sized red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2/3 cup diced vegetarian "pepperoni"
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 medium-sized Japanese eggplants, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 Tbs. tamari soy sauce
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 8 4-inch round whole wheat pita pockets, partially split
Steam cubed tempeh for 15 minutes. Remove tempeh from heat, and set aside.
Spray a large regular or electric skillet with olive oil cooking spray, and heat crushed pepper and dried garlic over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add ginger, onion, bell pepper and “pepperoni.” Sauté for 2 minutes, and add carrots and eggplant. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
Crumble tempeh into pan, and add mushrooms. Cook mixture for 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking. Add sherry, tamari soy sauce and tomatoes, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Divide into equal portions, and fill pita pockets.
- Calories: 294
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Sodium Content: 530 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g