The unusual ingredient combination—sesame oil, ginger, orange juice and corn with brown rice—makes this fragrant dish a fun twist on traditional rice pilafs.
- 1 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
Heat sesame oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add ginger, and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in rice, and sauté 2 minutes, or until coated with oil, and beginning to turn opaque.
Stir in orange juice, 1 1/4 cups water and salt. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cover. Simmer 30 minutes.
Sprinkle corn over rice. Cover, and simmer 15 minutes more, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro, and serve.
- Calories: 238
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 3.5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 155 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g