Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Mashed carrots and parsnips are a classic combination from Ireland and the British Isles. Here, we’ve steamed the two vegetables together and spiced them up with popped mustard seeds. When mustard seeds are popped over low heat, they lose their hot, “mustardy” flavor and taste wonderfully nutty.
1. Steam parsnips and carrots in steamer over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Drain.
2. Heat oil in skillet over low heat. Add mustard seeds and cover. When popping sound begins, turn off heat. Keep skillet covered until popping stops. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir in maple syrup and mustard. Add parsnip and carrot sticks, and cook over low heat 8 minutes, or until vegetables are glazed and golden. Toss with mustard seeds, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 276
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 8 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 400 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g