Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Sometimes you want a complex, engaging cooking project that results in an exciting, creative meal, perfect and elegantly plated. Other times you just want to mix a couple things together, stick one pan in the oven, and have dinner for six people (or one person with leftovers for days) come out the other side. This lentil-quinoa taco pie is the latter type of recipe.
The casserole features black beans, lentils, and quinoa, so you know it’s going to be hearty. As written, the recipe calls for egg and cheddar cheese, but plant-based versions of both will work well here. Customize the spices and garnishes in the taco pie to your preferences. For best results, cook and cool quinoa ahead of time, or use frozen cooked quinoa and thaw before using.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Adobo Tofu and Portobello Tacos with Chunky Guacamole
Instant Pot Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls
Butternut Squash Enchiladas
Gluten-Free Lentil Quinoa Taco Pie
1. Make pie: Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together quinoa, beans, one-half of cheese, beaten egg and cilantro. Set aside.
3. In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add bell pepper, chile powder and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, water and lentils. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
4. Spread half of sauce over bottom of prepared baking dish. Top with quinoa mixture. Top with remaining sauce. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining one-half of cheese and bake for 10 minutes more.
5. Serve taco pie topped with sour cream (if using), lettuce, jalapeños, tomato and cilantro.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 283
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 596 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 3 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g