Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Add the cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Mince the garlic, chop the onion, and add to a sauté pan with 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
- Sauté until lightly golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes over medium/low heat.
- Reduce heat to low, pour in the vodka and let simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor. Add in the drained and rinsed cashews, the rest of the olive oil, and all remaining ingredients except for the basil.
- Process until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour the sauce back into the sauté pan. If using the parmesan cheese, stir it in and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Combine with the cooked pasta and stir until well incorporated.
- Top with fresh basil and enjoy.