This soup features the subtle, earthy flavor of golden beets.
- 1 lb. golden beets (about 3 baseball-sized beets), peeled and quartered
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large Yukon gold potato (whole, unpeeled)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 4 tsp. sour cream
1 Bring beets, onion, potato, and 3 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Season with salt and pepper, if desired; cover, and simmer 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until beets are tender.
2 Remove from heat, and transfer potato to plate to cool. Blend beets and onion with immersion blender until smooth. Cool.
3 Once potato is cool enough to handle, cut it into 1/4-inch dice and set aside.
4 To serve: Ladle 1 cup borscht into bowl. Place 1/4 cup diced potatoes in center of bowl, and sprinkle soup with 2 Tbs. dill. Garnish with 1 tsp. sour cream.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 119
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 68 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g