The secret to this recipe is double-frying the tofu cubes to give them an extra-crisp exterior. We've added a selection of sautéed vegetables to the mix, but feel free to adapt the basic recipe to your tastes and preferences. This recipe was a winner in our 2008 Restaurant Poll, and is a popular entrée at The Grit in Athens, Georgia.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided
- 15 oz. extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 2 cups steamed broccoli
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast, or more to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu, and sauté 10 to 15 minutes, tossing with spatula, until light golden brown all over. Sprinkle with soy sauce, and sauté 2 to 3 minutes more to further brown tofu. Transfer tofu to paper-towel-lined plate. Drain and rinse skillet, and wipe dry.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil over high heat. Add tofu and all vegetables. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until tofu is browned and vegetables are tender, tossing constantly with spatula. Sprinkle with soy sauce to taste. Sprinkle nutritional yeast over tofu to coat. Sauté a few seconds more. Remove from heat. Serve over brown rice.
- Calories: 348
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Sodium Content: 98 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g