Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This hearty salad makes the most of the sunshiny shades of summer’s best produce. The veggies’ colors are kept bright by cooking each one separately. Crushing half of the chickpeas creates a salad base that soaks up dressing and prevents it from pooling at the bottom of the salad bowl.
1. Place beets and enough water to cover in deep microwave-safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high power 20 minutes, or until beets are tender.
2. Meanwhile, place half of chickpeas in large bowl; coarsely crush with potato masher. Stir remaining chickpeas, tomatoes, and green onions into mashed chickpeas.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn and squash. Sauté 5 minutes, or until squash is crisp-tender. Add to chickpea mixture.
4. Whisk together lemon juice, mustard, and remaining 2 Tbs. oil in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Drain beets, and rinse under cold water to cool; drain again. Peel and dice beets. Add beets, chopped lettuce, and dressing to chickpea mixture, and toss to coat.
6. Arrange reserved lettuce leaves on plates. Mound salad atop leaves.
- Calories 271
- Carbohydrate Content 36 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 265 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g