Golden Frittata with Red Bell Pepper, Chickpeas, and Baby Spinach
Ground turmeric lends a hint of Indian flavor and a rich saffron color to this cheese-free frittata.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 9 large eggs
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced into ¼-inch half-moons
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced (2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups cooked chickpeas, or one 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 packed cup baby spinach, roughly torn
1. Set oven rack in top third of oven; preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Whisk together eggs and turmeric, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Heat oil in large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and season with salt if desired. Sauté 2 minutes, or until onion is slightly softened. Add bell pepper, and cook 4 minutes, or until pepper is slightly softened. Stir in chickpeas and spinach, then pour in eggs, drizzling all over vegetables and chickpeas to coat evenly. Cook 2 minutes, shifting vegetables around so that egg coats bottom of skillet and all vegetables lie flat and are at least halfway submerged by egg. Transfer to oven.
4. Bake frittata 12 minutes, or until top and center of eggs are just set. Cool 2 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 1 slice
- Calories 178
- Carbohydrate Content 12 g
- Cholesterol Content 209 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 162 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g