Yellow tomatoes combine with chickpeas and yellow bell pepper to create this lovely golden-hued soup. If yellow tomatoes are unavailable, use red instead—the results will be pumpkin-colored.
- 1 1/2 lb. ripe yellow tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 scallions, trimmed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup croutons for garnish
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh parsley or basil for garnish
Put tomatoes, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, 1 cup chickpeas and garlic into food processor. Cut green part off scallions, mince and set aside. Coarsely chop white part of scallions, and add to food processor. Purée until smooth.
Add oil and vinegar, and season with salt to taste. Add dash of cayenne, if using, and process until blended.
Transfer soup to a large nonmetallic serving dish. Cover, and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
Taste to adjust seasonings.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup chick-peas, croutons, parsley and reserved scallion tops.
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 80 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g