Gorgonzola and Arugula Pizza with Caramelized Onions
Former pastry chef Ellen Arpino started making her own pizza at home after moving to an area that didn’t have a decent pizzeria. “One night, I made caramelized onions and sautéed mushrooms, and thought some Gorgonzola would make a perfect white-style pizza. The arugula took the place of my usual…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Former pastry chef Ellen Arpino started making her own pizza at home after moving to an area that didn’t have a decent pizzeria. “One night, I made caramelized onions and sautéed mushrooms, and thought some Gorgonzola would make a perfect white-style pizza. The arugula took the place of my usual spinach, since I had just picked some from the garden. The balsamic glaze was a whim that worked out nicely,” she says. This recipe was awarded “runner up” in VT’s 2014 Reader Recipe Contest.
- 8 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. Eden Selected Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 8 oz. baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups red balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup Now Real Foods Grade A Maple Syrup
- 1 16-oz. pkg. prepared fresh or thawed frozen whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 7 oz. BelGioioso CreamyGorg
- 3 cups baby arugula
1. Heat 3 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, add onions, and sauté 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt (if desired), reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 20 minutes, or until onions brown, adding 2 Tbs. water if necessary. Transfer onions to bowl; set aside. 2. Rinse out skillet, add 2 Tbs. oil, and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to bowl, and set aside. 3. Bring vinegar and maple syrup to a simmer in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer 15 minutes, or until reduced by half. Set aside to cool. 4. Rub pizza dough with 1 Tbs. oil, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. 5. Preheat oven to 450°F. Roll out dough, and transfer to baking sheet. 6. Combine garlic and 2 Tbs. oil, and brush over dough. Sprinkle with thyme. Bake 10 minutes, or until golden. 7. Top pizza with onions, mushrooms, and pea-size chunks of Gorgonzola. 8. Toss arugula with remaining 2 tsp. oil, and spread over pizza. Return pizza to oven, and bake 10 minutes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Calories 454
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 53 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 571 mg
- Sugar Content 36 g