Mâche is a tender, sweet lettuce cultivated in France since the 17th century. Here, mâche is paired with juicy grape tomatoes and fresh mozzarella for a wintertime take on an Italian summer favorite.
- 12 thin slices French baguette or country bread
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 cups mache (about 5 oz.)
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 9 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
To make Crostini:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush bread with oil. Arrange in single layer on baking sheet, and toast in oven 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
To make Salad:
2. Toss mâche in serving bowl with 1 Tbs. oil and 1 tsp. vinegar. Toss together tomatoes, basil, garlic, 1 tsp. oil and 1 tsp. vinegar in separate bowl.
3. Arrange mozzarella slices on mâche. Drizzle with remaining 1 tsp. oil.
4. Spoon tomato mixture into center of salad. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with crostini.
- Calories: 281
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4.5 g
- Sodium Content: 347 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g