This Fresca-like soda is perfect for those who prefer beverages on the tart side.
- 9 Tbs. sugar, plus more if desired
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups fresh grapefruit juice (from 6-7 large grapefruits)
- 1/8 tsp. champagne yeast
1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add sugar and salt, and stir to dissolve. Cool, and add grapefruit juice.
2. Pour juice mixture into clean 2-liter soda bottle using funnel. Top off bottle with water, leaving at least 1 inch headspace. Taste, and add more sugar, if desired. (Added sugar will dissolve on its own.)
3. Add yeast. Screw on cap, and shake bottle to dissolve and distribute yeast. Let bottle sit at room temperature away from direct sunlight 12 to 48 hours, or until carbonated. Check bottle periodically; soda is ready when bottle feels rock-solid with very little give.
4. Refrigerate overnight, or up to two weeks. Open bottle very slowly over sink to release pressure gradually and avoid bubble-ups. Store in refrigerator.
- Calories: 103
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 19 mg
- Sugar Content: 14 g