When reheating this soup, warm it over low heat without bringing it to a boil, to prevent the eggs from curdling.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white parts finely chopped (4 cups)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 small carrots, peeled and diced (3/4 cup)
- 6 cups no-chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks, onion, carrots, and pinch of salt; cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are softened, stirring often.
2. Stir in broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Add orzo, and cook 11 minutes more, or until orzo is tender. Remove from heat.
3. Whisk together eggs and lemon juice in bowl. Add 3 ladles soup broth to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk egg mixture back into soup, and cook over low heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until soup is thickened, but without letting it come to a boil. Serve sprinkled with parsley, mint, and oregano, and garnished with lemon wedges.
- Calories: 144
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 53 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 528 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g