Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Honey, olive oil, whole-wheat flour, and orange are happy companions in this version of a traditional Greek treat.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or coat with cooking spray.
2. To make Syrup: Bring sugar and 2/3 cup water to a boil in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and stir in honey and orange flower water. Set aside.
3. To make Cookies: Whisk together flours, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and baking soda in large bowl.
4. Vigorously whisk oil, orange juice, sugar, and vanilla and almond extracts in separate bowl, until emulsified. Stir into dry ingredients, until incorporated. If dough feels crumbly, add more orange juice, 1 Tbs. at a time, to form pliable dough; if it’s too wet, add up to 1/4 cup more all-purpose flour.
5. Divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured work surface. Cut into Cookies with 2-inch round, fluted cutter, and transfer Cookies to prepared baking sheets. Gather scraps, roll, and cut again, until all dough is used. Bake Cookies 30 to 35 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
6. Transfer Cookies to large baking sheet, and arrange in single layer. Pour warm Syrup over Cookies to cover. Let Syrup soak in 20 minutes, turning Cookies once or twice. Transfer Cookies to wire rack set over rimmed baking sheet to cool. Sprinkle each Cookie with pinch of pistachios. Let dry on wire rack. Store in airtight container.
- Calories 89
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 28 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g